Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is the principle that companies should contribute to the welfare of society and not be solely devoted to maximizing profits. At Soft Touch Jewellers LLC, we are commited to consider the interests of customers, employees, shareholders, communities, and the environment in all aspects of our operations.
CSR is closely linked to the principle of Sustainable Development, which guides enterprises to make decisions based not only on financial factors such as profits and dividends, but also on both the immediate and long-term social and environmental consequences of their activities.
Social responsibility is part of our Corporate Charter:
- We make every effort to source conflict-free diamonds from established diamantaires.
- We have been associated with the well-known organization, LIFE for the past 22 years. LIFE has played a major role in reconstructing schools in Kutch, Gujarat (India) after the devastating earthquake in January 2001.
- We are also associated with Rotary International.
- We support the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, which has made a commitment to eradicate polio from the world.
- The chairman of Soft Touch Jewellers LLC, Mr. Harshad Mehta is also the chairman of the UAE chapter of Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation of India a support group dedicated to education and village development in rural India. It runs a non-formal education program that is helping to eradicate illiteracy from rural and tribal India. ‘Ekal’ is now running over 57,000 schools in 22 states of India and benefitting over 1.6 million children. Ekal Vidyalaya is aiming to reach 100,000 schools, which would benefit and empower over 3 million village and tribal children of India, by the year 2015.
- Action Care (www.action-care.org), based in the UAE, supports diverse educational development and aid projects both in the UAE and throughout the region: Volunteer Empowerment; Early Childhood Development; Women's Empowerment; Library Construction; Schools for Children with Special Needs; Youth Leadership and Vocational Training; IT Lab Setup; Animation Programs; Aid Distribution; Medical Camps; Uplift for Underprivileged and Refugee Children; etc. Action Care projects cover Jordan, Lebanon, Pakistan, Palestine, Syria and Turkey.
- SCIENCE INDIA FORUM-UAE (www.sastraprathibha.com), This forum is a voluntary organization, supported by the Embassy of India in the UAE, professionals, business people, and philanthropists. They work with school children, conducting several annual programs like ‘Knowledge Fair’, visits to scientific institutions, science paper presentations, quiz competitions, etc. with the objective of encouraging children to choose science as a career.